Tuesday, December 18, 2007

On the Fence - Traditional and not so much.

On the Fence - Traditional and not so traditional, a charrette.

At Gardens Gone Wild Blog they are discussing the topic of fences in the landscape .

I think most of us are familiar with the beloved time honored white picket fence and the ubiquitous wooden board and batten fence so I’ll bring a twist to the table and offer up some different types of fence like armatures.

In this first photo you’ll see a bright red stucco water feature / wall. It is 40 inches tall and about 6 feet long.
There was once 6 foot tall solid wooden fence in its place.
When we torn down the wood fence we did not want to replace it with just a shorter version so we choose to use a red stucco wall and interjected a water feature into the spatial division.


In this second photo you’ll see 3 concrete spheres and a core ten steel arc behind them.
There was once a fence in this location and instead of replacing it with another one we choose to use core ten steel to create a fence between two garden spaces.


The next photo shows a project crafted up in Squaw Valley CA.
Originally the owners wanted a tall privacy fence to block the views between themselves and their neighbours.
We opted to build a metal fence / privacy screen on top of the stone wall , thus fencing out the neighboring views into this private entertainment area.


The next two photos show gates that are apart of a fencing system.
They are handcrafted wrought iron , a favorite medium of mine to design with.






The next photo is a pretty common fence that I designed about 17 years ago.
I’m including it because I like the way it falls in and out of a straight line thus giving way to some narrow planting beds along the lap pool .


The next two photos take the idea of a fence and turns it into a privacy screen.
Simple lattice panels do the trick to provide a sense of separation and privacy between neighoring properties.


6 comments:

Frances, said...

This is my first vist to your site. Your photos are fantastic, hence your blog's name, duh. I love the solid metal fencing. You are being added to my favorite blogs.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Wow, those metal fences are amazing! If the style of my garden wasn't so naturalistic I'd have to find someone around here to design 1 for me. The lattice panels are something I will seriously consider, however.

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Good to see alternatives to picket & standard metal fencing. My neighbor's got a custom wrought iron fence that looks like grape vines rising from the ground.

I'd love to do some low fencing in my front yard, but would want the chance to design my own (I'm a graphic designer). The potential cost scares me.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Happy New Year to all !
Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments.

I am enjoying these design charrettes that the Gardening Gone Wild group has undertaken each month.

It's great to see what others are crafting in their gardens.

See you next month .
Michelle

Anonymous said...

No doubt! That's a cool fence! i like it very much.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!