Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Watch out, you could have a tomato up your butt

Better watch out where you sit if you remove your lawn and plant a tomato in its place.
You might get a tomato up your butt.

If you rip up all the lawns across America where are your kids going to go to play in their own back yard ?

From portfolioMay08.jpg


From portfolioMay08.jpg


Or hold that awesome outdoor summertime 50th wedding anniversary party ?
In your artichoke patch ?
From Pool and Garden Project - The Napa Valley


Where will the guests sit as they watch your daughter get married to her high school sweetheart ?
Several years later where will you host your grandson's 5th birthday party ?
Clear the swiss chard folks.
From Before and After


Where’s the dog going to play ? On the 3 foot path of a veggie garden. Yeah that sounds like fun.
From Pina Colada


What will you spread your blanket out on to watch your third graders outdoor play ?
Tomatoes can be a little lumpy and a bit squishy . - Don’t wear white.
From Hillside development


And when President Obama and Michelle holds next years Easter Egg Hunt , do you think a bed of broccoli is really the best place to host hordes of families and friends ?

Link to great photos of this years hunt : http://www.whitehouse.gov/photogallery/Easter-Egg-Roll-2009/

All things in moderation is good.

8 comments:

danger garden said...

Love this post DD! While we have removed 80% of our lawn, and love it that way, I would never think of removing the last 20%. For all the reasons you mention and more....

carolyn gutierrez said...

LMAO . . . !

Skrip said...

Beautifully said! It's almost scary to talk to anyone about a nice lawn nowadays. I am moving to natives, but still need some green open carpet for things as you have describe.! Balance is key. Thanks for this great post!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Hee.

I don't need a lawn anymore...all my kids have tomato stakes up their but.

No need to sit.

No siree Bob.



I hear ya.

John said...

Michelle, I'm no fan of gratuitous lawn, but you are absolutely correct — balance in all things!

I've taken the liberty of nominating you for an oh-so-prestigious MeMe award… stop by A Verdant Life to pick it up if you so desire!

Anonymous said...

My favorite line of the week:

"Tomatoes can be a little lumpy and a bit squishy . - Don’t wear white"

Chris in Toronto

Kylee from Our Little Acre said...

I love this post. Love it.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Hello all 'well balanced' commentators.
Yup, I guess it boils down to a question of balance.

I once had to design a private soccer field and golf course.
I winced every time I did the irrigation calculations even though the owner of this property was using his own well water on his property to keep his greens looking green, I was still conscience of the abundance of water in use.

Then I learned about all the fantastic philanthropic events that were held on this property that brought in millions ( not thousands ) of dollars for a wide variety of causes and my conscience has been clear ever since.
This property is also a certified organic vineyard so they do not use any inorganic fertilizers + pesticides on the lawn or vineyard .

John, Thanks for the me me award.
But I am an incredibly boring person.
I wouldn't want to bore anyone with my rather mundane life.