Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bloom day in Northern California

My garden, The Pina Colada Garden , is not one that relies heavily on blooming flower color.
It is the big bold textural foliage that plays off of one another that gives my garden its bones.
Regardless of this fact, the garden usually has something in bloom at all times of the year.

Today, November 15, 2009 for Bloom Day there are dozens of chartreuse parrot beak blooms dangling off an 8 foot tall Crotalaria shrub.
From Pina Colada


I have several varieties and colors of the tall and bushy Iochroma tree.
Below is an orange one, I.coccineum . This shrub is about 14 feet tall.
From Pina Colada


The Pina Colada garden has a pretty good collection of Abutilons, with colors ranging from yellow to pink to tri-color orange.
This is my favorite A. Victor Reiter. It is about 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide. It blooms all year round.
From Pina Colada


Anigozanthos blooms at this time of year and will shut down for the winter. It starts blooming again in early spring.
From Pina Colada


What would a California winter be without poppys ?
From Pina Colada


The big rain storm that dumped on us about a month ago has the Lantana shrubs blooming their heads off in gardens across Marin.
From Pina Colada

5 comments:

rebecca Sweet said...

I am in love with your 'Victor' and must get one this Spring - such big, beautiful flowers!! Thanks for the garden tour on this glorious day.....

Phrago said...

Hey, This was a fun bunch of plants to google. Love the Night Shade and Kangaroo Paws. The Rattle Box is an interesting pea form. The only tall pea I grow (over 6 feet tall) is Cassia. Looks like a giant sensative plant with yellow sweet pea like flowers at the top, giving way to long black seed pods, flat and hairy. Want some seed? they are perenial and a bit weedy, but manageable. Wish I could grow Iocroma in my green house, do they get very wide? Patrick

danger garden said...

I am "chartreuse" with envy!

Nell jean said...

Happy Bloom Day. Love the tropicals!

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Hi Rebecca,
Just about all the wholesalers grow A.Victor Reiter.
I purchased this one from Emerisa Nursery which has a very good selection of Abutilons.
But the one I am jonesing for is A. Tiger Eyes. It is being grown by Monterey Bay and is spectacular.

Howdy Patrick,
I'd love to try growing a Cassia. I had one for about 6 years and it died last year. It was Cassia 'Buttercup'.
I think they are short lived, ... well in my garden at least.

Danger,
That's funny ! I'm off to check your blog for the NW report.

Neil jean,
I love the tropicals too! , Just wish I had a more conducive climate for them to grow in.

Happy Bloom day to all.