Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pennisetum setaceum rubrum 'FIREWORKS'

I was pretty excited last year when I heard one of my favorite nurseries, Emerisa Garden Nursery was growing Pennisetum setaceum rubrum “Fireworks”.

It was rumored to be a stunning looking plant.


Unfortunately it had growth problems and the crop that I was looking forward to had rotted.


( A perfect analogy for my gardening business last year )


Now a new year, new projects and a new crop that looks fantastic !


From R E D


I haven’t tested this plant in my own garden yet but I am going to assume that it is probably a bit more tender than regular Pennisetum s. rubrum.


I wish that I purchased two plants so that I could try one in part shade and the other in full sun to see how the variegation holds up.


In the mean time, I’ve got to get into the sculpture studio to make a new pot for this great looking new plant.


3 comments:

Christine said...

Can't wait to see the full ensemble, Michelle! Such an inspiring plant to work with.

Phrago said...

I have never had much luck with Penisetums, They last a couple of years; afterwards, never come back or seed into the garden. I think my soil is too heavy for them. Beautiful coloration...

danger garden said...

Wow. The rest of us think of going to the garden store to buy a pot. Not you, you go make one. I am jealous.