Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rietveld meets the Andirondack - take a seat.

An icon of 20th century design, The Rietveld chair , 1917, painted with its Piet Mondrian color scheme of blue and red was never mass produced though that was the intention of Dutch architect Garrit Rietveld when he designed it.
I think he would be pleased with how his design has been reinterpreted in the 21st century.

LInk : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_Rietveld

LInk : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_chair

This collaborative project is nowhere near complete, but the furniture has arrived that inspired this post :

From Rietveld rediscovered.


From Rietveld rediscovered.


From Rietveld rediscovered.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Very nice! And I love the plantings.

Stone Art's Blog said...

Looks great, I love the simplicity of the design!

Susan aka Miss R said...

Last fall on a visit to Wave Hill I bought plans for their chair-a Rietveld--similar to yours and the original but different all the same. They're very comfortable. Here's the link - http://www.wavehill.org/shop/WaveHillChairPlans.html

Denise said...

Wave Hill has the plans for $9 to DIY-build these chairs! My order form is already in the mail. They look great in the landscape.

Christine said...

Love it- it looks like they're wearing wide-leg pants!

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Aren't these chairs just too cool !
Thanks for the tip about the plans available at Wave Hill.
I'm going to check them out.

I'd love a set of these chairs in the Pina Colada garden.

thanks for stopping in and leaving your thoughts.
Michelle

Phrago said...

Hey, One of my antique dealer friends has a pair of these, and they are old. Very cool. One has a small drawer built into the arm...

Phrago said...

Cryminy! I just realized that these chairs are sitting at the bottom of the muddy Hill that you were landscaping a while back! Any more peeks at the project???
Actually the chairs you are showing are not a new design. I really don't know the origin of these fabulous seats, but as I mentioned before, I have a freind that owns a pair. They are very comfortble and beautiful, stained dark with the ware and patina of a favorite old pair of boots...

How It Grows said...

Great looking chairs

Tamara Jansen said...

Now THOSE are some COOL adirondak chairs!!