Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The incredible Mr. Limpid

It's limpsville here.


It looks like someone took a blow torch to the Pina Colada garden .

We’ve had temperatures in the low 20’s for the last couple of nights and the subtropicals are pissed off.


A once full and blooming 14 foot tall Brugmansia is now reduced to a melting skeleton.

From Pina Colada


Iochromas are totally curdled along with the Tibouchinas, Alocasia, young Bougainvilleas and a variety of succulents, especially the aeoniums.


The Heliconias are blackened. They are Toast.


Even the high altitude subtropical Cantua buxifolia, Flower of the Incas , is looking death in the eye.

From Pina Colada


Come this spring I hope that we’ll see new growth from the root stock of many of these plants , but until late March or April it is going to be a sad looking winter time garden.

Even much of my winter color was fried. Good by Shirley poppies and Cinerarias.


Buxsom Bottom Busty Betty, the ficus pumila topiary with echiveria nipples is frigid.

From Pina Colada


A thick blanket of white frost covered the small front yard lawn

From Pina Colada


9 comments:

Phrago said...

Hey, In the words of Surfer Dude : "Bummer Man!"
Hope you can get some cuttings to replace some of your favs...
When the time comes to replace the lost treasures, let me know what you're looking for. I might be able to find some of it... Patrick
I find when sad times like this happen, Bourban helps...

Christine said...

Oh, such tragedy... At least Martha got to see it in all its splendor. And now you get to dream of new plants to put in to fill in the blank spots!

How It Grows said...

Love that mosaic!

Pam/Digging said...

At least in Austin we have the silver lining of mosquito death when freezes nip back our subtropicals. But I can tell from your unscreened seating areas that you don't have mosquito problems during more-pleasant weather.

Thanks for showing more of your beautiful garden in summer. I love the color of your bench, and that buxsom betty is hilarious. Winter is short; the garden'll be back before you know it.

Delphine said...

i love Buxsom Bottom Busty Betty !!!!!

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Patrick,
Yeah, It is a bummer but one I am getting used to .
There is usually a couple of different succulents that survive that I can get cuttings off of to keep the garden going and the brugs and banana usually come back .

How it Grows,
Thanks, I like my front mosaic pathway too.

Pam,
Nice of you to stop in.
Sometime I'll have to tell you the story of how Buxom Bottom Busty Betty the topiary lady was the ultimate crime stopper and stopped a burglar in his tracks.

danger garden said...

I'm sorry to hear this. And I feel your pain, I really do...3 mornings in a row at 13 (one even dipped to 12 briefly). It is NOT supposed to get that cold here.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos--can you tell me the name of the raspberry-pink angel's trumpet?

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful photos--can you tell me the name of the raspberry-pink angel's trumpet in the photo with the dog in the path?