Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Garden Exotica in Marin


Every now and then I am simply WOWed by yet another fantastic garden hidden away in the hills of Marin.


I came across this street side garden yesterday. It borders a new project that I am working on. This is the view that my clients have of their neighbors yard that borders their property.


The owner of this property is an avid gardener and has been attending the San Francisco Botanical Garden plant sales for over 30 years.



Fantastic plant palette and it shows.


Now this is what I call priceless publicity for the San Francisco Botanical Garden Plant sales.

Get ‘em while they’re hot.

I’m looking forward to the arboretums plant sales this year !


From Smith Project


The weather ontop of this mountain side was changing quickly.

One moment sun, the next cloudy, and then a deluge of rain.

From Smith Project


The cascading succulent green strap like foliage in the foreground is some kind of Bulbinella.

I haven’t properly identified it but I find it fantastic

From Smith Project


Detail shot

From Smith Project


From Smith Project


From Smith Project


A protea.

From Smith Project


From Smith Project

12 comments:

Stone Art's Blog said...

Very interesting post, I have just discovered 'Proteas' On Valentines day I bought my wife a bunch of flowers which included some of these. Amazing flowers. The rest of the flowers, well lets just say, I should probably have trowen them out already some time ago, but the Proteas are still going strong.

danger garden said...

Oh god. WHY wasn't I born rich and living in SF? WHY!?

Phrago said...

To see plants naturalize like that is really wonderful! Love Proteas, just like Gingers, Can't grow them here, Sob... Patrick

Megan said...

Gorgeous garden pics! I'm getting pretty excited for the SF Succulent Society's sale at the Botanical Garden.

Steve Asbell said...

Excellent layout and plant palette! I love succulents.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I think your unidentified bulb is actually Urginea maritima, which you can get at San Marcos Growers. It is a great choice for massing in a non-irrigated California garden, but can also take limited summer irrigation if the soil is well draining.

It is fun to accidentally bump into such horticulturally rich gardens, isn't it?

Bahia

For those interested in Proteas, you might want to check out if your local Trader Joes is carrying blooming 6 inch pots of Leucospermum, the local stores here in California currently have a yellow and red/orange blooming shrubs at a really good price.

Matti said...

Those proteas are great. It is amazing the deals you can pick up at the Botonical Garden sale. We will attending this year...do you know the date of it yet? Matti

Phrago said...

Hey, I just realized that the fabulous clump of plants with the Orange flowers is an Aloe. Very nice! Not coming to the Garden show this Month. I have to postpone my trip until Summer. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Susan aka Miss R said...

What a tour de force in every way--color, texture, scale, repetition and plantsmanship! Positively brilliant.

Design Resource said...

I'm so jealous of all the fascinating plants you have to work with in your mild climate! All kinds of texture, color, etc.

While I'm more limited in my high elevation mountain climate, I suppose there are always cool plants if you look hard enough.

Oh- and I did NOT learn from your 'bio hazzard' biowall experience. I am having one in my booth for our local Spring Home and Garden Show. The upside is that I'm using the 'Live Roof' flats and they've been green house grown so it will be a lot easier to invert those things vertical. I'm limited to just sedums though- missing out yet again on the coolest succulents!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I think the plant that resembles a Bulbinella is Ornithogalum caudatum (O. longibracteatum).

Great Blog!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I think the plant that resembles a Bulbinella is Ornithogalum caudatum (O. longibracteatum).

Great Blog!